Monday, October 8, 2007

White Chanel Large Rock and Chain Tote

I don't remember when and where this bag first caught my eye but I think it was roughly around the end of 2006. By the time it was February 2007, I was calling Chanel boutiques like a mad woman. The SA at the Beverly Hill boutique informed me that there would be only 5 of each bag in each color in each size at each Chanel boutique store around the world. I initially put my name down for the black version just cus white is usually such a hard color to pull off and care for and I also was advised by that same SA to get the smaller size since "the big one is HUGE". I was told to expect a phone call sometime in March. If you know me , you know I'm paranoid...I take after my mom. Thus true to my paranoid nature, I also put my name down at the South Coast boutique and double checked my standing on the wait list at the Beverly Hills boutique :) I don't remember what number I was on any of the wait lists but I do remember calling both locations the minute March rolled around. I think from March til April I called Chanel probably every other day and I'm sure I annoyed the hell out of most of the :P Of course I now know that SA's hate persistent callers and usually don't put you high on their priority list unless you've purchased from them before. Finally I got fed up with the Chanel boutiques and decided it was time to hound the SA's at Saks and Neimans. On my first try to both stores, I was informed that they had MY BAG IN STOCK. I took my lunch break to go to Neimans (I miss working at Century City...) and walked determined into the Chanel boutique. The SA there proudly showed me the small Rock and Chain in black and let me know it was mine if I wanted it. I other the hand was trying hard not to cry from disappointment. Much like the mini YSL Downtown, the "small" Rock and Chain really is a toy version of the real thing. Completely impractically and it fits awkwardly on your hand! He probably saw my face and decided to show me the large version. I tried on the large tote in white and was basically ready to hand over my credit card. He offered to sell me the display and I was actually going to buy the display until I found markings on the leather. By then I think he realized I was 100% serious about making a purchase right then and there and so he did the unthinkable...he brought out someones pre-ordered bag from the back and offered it to me. Yes I know, bad bag karma but hey, maybe that person wouldn't even have liked the bag! So of course, I was sold and skipped happily back to work with my new Chanel :)
The bag fits snugly on my shoulder and also looks pretty fabulous dangling off of my arm as well. I've gotten quite a few compliments with this bag from complete strangers...they seem to like the unique shape and the fact that no one else has it. The most amazing thing about this bag is how hard it is to get it dirty! You would think I would have already messed it up by now but dirty smudges come off easily if you just wipe gently with a napkin. With time, the leather has wrinkled a bit but I think that might be on the unpreventable side, plus I think it gives the bag character :) The bag is spacious but not on the unreasonably huge side. I haven't seen it on any other person yet but it does seem to be more accessible in the stores now so perhaps this blog will inspire you to go out and get one for yourself!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GASP!!!! omg! that bag was not rightfully yours to begin with!!!

:O

oh well....